Celebrating a Foreign Side of Nat King Cole

/
0 Comments
Nat King Cole

I love Nat King Cole. As many others did, I grew up listening to his Christmas album, with favorites such as "The Christmas Story," "Adeste Fidelis," "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" and "O Tannenbaum," to name a few.

But I haven't really explored past his Christmas recordings until now. There are some truly beautiful songs on the list.

Here's a smattering to keep you warm on a cold, possibly snowy late autumn day, before we head into the holidays:



"Autumn Leaves"


The falling leaves drift by the window
The autumn leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun-burned hands I used to hold

Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall


And here it is in French, the language of love:



"Les feuilles d'automne"


C'est une chanson, qui nous ressemble 
Toi tu m'aimais et je t'aimais 
Nous vivions tous, les deux ensemble 
Toi que m'aimais moi qui t'aimais 
Mais la vie sépare ceux qui s'aiment 
Tout doucement sans faire de bruit 
Et la mer efface sur le sable les pas des amants désunis

And here's a melancholy yet bewitching story-song:


"Nature Boy"


There was a boy
A very strange enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far
Very far, over land and sea

A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he

And then one day, a magic day
He passed my way, and while we spoke
Of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"


Read more posts in the Groovy Tuesday series here.


You may also like

No comments: