Brandi Carlile and The Twins Are Back in The Eye

/
0 Comments


My favorite singer-songwriter Brandi Carlile's newest album, "The Firewatcher's Daughter" has been out for a week, and I've been immersing myself in it to fully absorb and convey its delightful flavor to you.

The record's a gutsy, heart-filled mixture of fast and slow, happy and sad, contented and regretful, all bound with a common theme: the importance of resting in love and family, the value in feeling your yesterdays but living your todays.

The theme is a natural progression for Carlile and her symbiotic bandmates and co-writers, Tim and Phil Hanseroth, aka "The Twins." They've all started families since their last album, 2012's "Bear Creek." And the maturity and depth they've gained through that experience means they're only getting better musically. 

I can't say I have a favorite song on the album — at least not yet. But here's the one I think best embodies the feeling of being a wanderer who's still rooted to a place, connected to a family:


"Wherever Is Your Heart"


I think it's time we found a way back home
You lose so many things you love as you grow
I missed the days when I was just a kid
My fear became my shadow, I swear it did

Wherever is your heart I call home
Wherever is your heart I call home
Though your feet may take you far from me, I know
Wherever is your heart I call home

You made me feel like I was always falling
Always falling down without a place to land
Somewhere in the distance, heard you calling
It hurts so bad to let go of your hand

Wherever is your heart I call home
Wherever is your heart I call home
Though your feet may take you far from me, I know
Wherever is your heart I call home

Even when you're high, you can get low
Even with the friends you love, you're still alone
We always find the darkest place to go
God forgive our minds,

We were born to roam

Wherever is your heart I call home
Wherever is your heart I call home
Though your feet may take you far from me, I know
Wherever is your heart I call home

God forgive my mind 
God forgive my mind when I come home
God forgive my mind
There's a road that's long and winds and hollers home
I'm calling home

God forgive my mind
God forgive my mind when I come home

Here's one that just plain rocks:


And of course, there's the beautiful single the band performed on tour leading up to the album release, "The Eye." What's really special about this one is the shared three-part vocals all the way through. It's practically a capella, so their voices get the chance to really shine. 


These three just keep getting better the longer they're together. I can't wait to see what they do next.

Read more posts in the Groovy Tuesday series here.


You may also like

No comments: